March is National Nutrition Month!
Families, children, and seniors living with food insecurity are less likely to have access to healthy and fresh food, increasing the probability of nutrition-related health issues. We are committed to providing healthy and nutritious food for our neighbors each and every day. And throughout March with the help of our partners, we are providing an additional focus on nutrition education, as well as spreading the word about how you can support our programs across Anne Arundel County:
- Join us for one of our upcoming Nutrition Education events (see below!) and learn how food insecurity is having a negative impact on our community. Each session will focus on a different age group including nutrition for birth to 5, school-aged children, and older adults.
- Host a healthy food (low-fat, low-sodium shelf-stable items) drive in celebration of Nutrition Month. Register your food drive or drop off your donation at one of these 10 participating locations throughout the County (see below!)
- Support our programs so we can continue distributing food and fresh produce throughout our County. Last year we distributed 4 million pounds of food; 840,000 pounds of which was fresh produce
Join us for our upcoming Nutrition Education events!
In partnership with Annapolis Pediatrics and the Anne Arundel County Public Library, Discoveries, the Library at the Mall.
March 9th at 11:00am (immediately after story time)
Location: Discoveries, The Library at the Mall
Join us for an interactive Nutrition Month activity that will engage your kids in nutrition fun while the parents also receive a bagful of nutrition resources. Led by Board-Certified Pediatric Nurse, Erin Merli of Annapolis Pediatrics, the program will provide tips for healthy eating that are fun and easy for the whole family. The Anne Arundel County Food Bank will also share information about its food programs throughout the County and the resources that are available to families.
In partnership with Anne Arundel County Public Schools.
March 16th at 12:00pm
Zoom Talk: Register here
Food insecurity negatively affects 1 in 4 Anne Arundel County Public School students. Learn about the challenges to learning that are brought on by food insecurity, ways that families can take action to increase nutrition affordably at home, and the resources that are available to families. Join us for a 30-minute panel presentation featuring AACPS Nutrition experts, Carrie Foye and Stacey Mazcko, moderated by Melanie Kincaid, Communications & Development Manager of the Anne Arundel County Food Bank. Attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions during a 20-minute Q&A session.
In partnership with Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities.
March 28th at 11:00am
Location: Pascal Senior Center
Register for lunch (60 or older): 410-222-0256
Join us for an information session on nutrition resources in Anne Arundel County, geared specifically towards individuals aged 60 or older. Lunch will be served immediately following the information session. Please register in advance for lunch through the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. 410-222-0256
Food Drive Locations!
Our friends throughout Anne Arundel County are hosting food drives for us in honor of Nutrition Month. Please stop by one of these locations to help us collect food for families in need throughout our community!
- Annapolis Pediatrics, 6 locations
- Bread and Butter Kitchen, Annapolis
- Himmel’s Landscape & Garden Center, Pasadena
- Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport, Linthicum Heights
- Huff Insurance, Pasadena
- Westin Annapolis
Would you and your business like to join our efforts and host a food drive?
Please register here to get started today: www.aafoodbank.org/food-drive
Thank you to our sponsors!
Thank you to our Nutrition Month sponsors: Annapolis Pediatrics, Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport Hotel, Himmel’s Landscape & Garden Center, Wegmans.
Thank you to our Nutrition Month partners, AA Co Public Library, AA Co Dept. of Health, AA Co. Dept. of Aging & Disabilities, AA Co. Public Schools, Healthy Anne Arundel, Pascal Senior Center.